How to Find Opportunity in Any Economy
Acknowledgments . . . vii
Preface : How to Use this Book . . . viii
1. Musical Chairs and Porridge . . . 1
2. How the Job Market Really Works . . . 13
3. Where Are You Going? . . . 23
4. How to Measure Your Search Activities . . . 39
5. Building Lead Lists . . . 51
6. Managing Hundreds of Leads . . . 77
7. How to Reach Out to People . . . 81
8. Dust off Your Network . . . 109
9. What to Talk about with Friends and Strangers . . . 115
10. Engaging Possible Employers . . . 127
11. Objections and Gatekeepers . . . 133
12. How to Break into Organizations . . . 149
13. Staying Alive . . . 181
14. Job Clubs, Chance Opportunities, and Perserverance . . . 185
Index . . . 192
DONALD ASHER is the author of eleven books on careers, job search, and higher education. He is a contributing writer for numerous publications and career sites and is a tireless speaker, making more than 150 appearances at college and corporate campuses across the United States each year. Recent teaching engagements have also taken him abroad to India, China, South Korea, and Germany. When he isn't traveling, Donald Asher divides his time between northern Nevada and San Francisco, California.
"The no-nonsense, common-sense Cracking the Hidden Job
Market ... could certainly jump-start a stalled job search. ...
Asher's book will hold your hand while you try to get your foot in
-USA Today, 1/18/11
"Networking involves the 'law of large numbers.' Asher points out connection sources most of us already have and shows us how to manage 100 contacts."
-Dallas Morning News, 1/16/11
"Cracking the Hidden Job Market offers tips and strategies for standing out in the crowd-and looking where the crowd's not. ...a simple formula for job-hunting success."
-Washington Post Express, 1/10/11