List of abbreviations
1. Introduction: The Civil Society versus Xi Jinping's Police-State Apparatus
2. Contributions of Intellectuals: Emancipating the Mind in the Midst of Ruthless Suppression
3. Human Rights Lawyers' Struggle against Xi Jinping's "Socialist Rule by Law"
4. A New Awakening for China's Oppressed Christians
5. How the China-U.S. Cold War Opens up Opportunities for the Civil Society
Willy Wo-Lap Lam is Adjunct Professor at the Center for China Studies and the Department of History, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. He is the author of Chinese Politics in the Era of Xi Jinping (Routledge, 2015) and the editor of Routledge Handbook of the Chinese Communist Party (2018).
Willy Lam's The Fight for China's Future presents a sobering picture of China in the era of Xi Jinjing where the forces of enlightenment are locked in an existential struggle with the rule of fear. Its deep insights and analysis illuminate the dynamics animating Chinese politics today.
Minxin Pei, Claremont McKenna College
Willy Lam is a master of Chinese political analysis. His writings about China under Xi Jinping, including predictions about future socio-political developments, are always informative, penetrating and insightful.
Akio Takahara, Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy, Tokyo University
In a profoundly moving and uniquely insightful account of how Supreme Commander Xi Jinping has imposed Mao-like neo-totalitarian horrors on the Chinese people, including a global backlash against imperial over-reach by the CCP state, Willy Lam finds a possible ray of light for a better future in the quests of many tens of millions of Chinese to live with basic human dignities. A must read.
Edward Friedman, Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin-Madison